Re: [exim-dev] Development blockage...

Author: David Woodhouse
To: Tony Finch
CC: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Development blockage...
On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 10:27 +0100, Tony Finch wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2008, David Woodhouse wrote:
> >
> > We already have http://git.infradead.org/exim-src.git
> > It would be nice to host that on exim.org, and start using it directly
> > instead of having it just shadow the CVS tree.
>
> You have an account on tahini. What more do you need to move it across?

I'm already running the same script on tahini to create a similar shadow
repo there. All we need to do is run gitweb and the git dæmon, and maybe
set up git.exim.org in DNS. Preferably after creating a proper directory
for the git tree to live in, instead of my home directory.

I should probably also make sure I have all the CVS userid->name
mappings up to date and recreate the tree on tahini before we announce
it.

> > If CVS is good enough, let's stick to it. Otherwise, move to git.
>
> I agree that git looks like the most plausible replacement for CVS. I'm
> not sure about the benefits of moving though. Obviously it won't happen
> unless we have a git expert who has time to manage the migration. If not,
> we can see if just having a blessed git mirror helps.

The migration is easy enough -- we have a git tree which is following
the CVS tree automatically; all we have to do is stop committing to CVS
and start committing to the git version.

--
dwmw2