Re: [exim-dev] Development blockage...

Author: Alex Kiernan
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Development blockage...
On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Nigel Metheringham
<nigel.metheringham@???> wrote:

> On 13 May 2008, at 18:15, B. Johannessen wrote:
> > Suggestion 1: Set up public (read only) CVS/SVN to make it easier to
> > track ongoing development (not that there's much of that going on
> > right
> > now).
>
>         http://wiki.exim.org/EximDevelopment

> > Suggestion 3: Organise triage team tasked with maintaining a
> > prioritised
> > list of verified bugs.
>
> That definitely needs doing - just a separate split of bugs and
> wishlist would help a lot.
>
> Unfortunately I'm in the position that I don't work with mail systems
> any more, and have very limited spare time, so I basically don't have
> a great deal of impetus to work on exim other than minimal maintenance
> - I don't see these factors changing for me in the foreseeable
> future. I suspect many of the other people who previously put work
> into exim are in a similar position.
>

> On 14 May 2008, at 07:29, Jaco van der Schyff wrote:
> > There is Google's summer of code aswell. If a (mentoring)
> > organisation
> > could be set-up, the fund raising issue could be rationalized by
> > Google
> > paying the respective bounties ?
>
> Not this year (unless we got in on the Southern Hemisphere one) - GSOC
> is all allocated for this Summer.
>
> What really concerns me at present is if we get hit by a security
> issue in the code, how long would it take to be able to diagnose let
> along get the release process done...

Putting my THUS/Demon hat on, we clearly have lots of exim in service
and a vested interest in dealing with any security issue in a timely
manner. If a security issue came up I'd expect we'd be able to throw
resource at diagnosis/fix in a short time frame, so long as it was in
an area which affected us.

--
Alex Kiernan