Re: [exim] Exim sends message twice if alias points to itsel…

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim sends message twice if alias points to itself
Hello,

Konstantin Boyandin <temmokan@???> (Sa 03 Mai 2008 12:39:44 CEST):
> Greetings,
>
> I have switched from Sendmail to Exim and would like to handle this situation:
>
> In /etc/aliases:
>
> userlist: :include:/path/to/a/file
>
> Whereas the /path/to/a/file contains this:
>
> userlist
> user1
> user2
>
> I.e., userlist is both local account and forwarder. In such a case,
> any email sent to
>
> userlist@???
>
> comes *twice* to all the mailboxes mentioned in /path/to/a/file.
>
> Sendmail handles that, suppressing duplicate messages. How can one
> suppress the duplicates in Exim without creating an alternate local
> accounts with names different from forwarders?

Hm.
I've just constructed such case:

    # head -1 /etc/aliases
    mobst: :include:/tmp/mobst

    # cat /tmp/mobst
    mobst    (it's a local user)
    heiko    (it's a local user)

    # exim4 -v -bv mobst
    heiko@???
    <-- mobst@???
      router = localuser, transport = local_delivery
    mobst@???
    <-- mobst@???
      router = localuser, transport = local_delivery

    # exim4 -bV
    Exim version 4.68 #1 built 03-Nov-2007 08:11:35
    Copyright (c) University of Cambridge 2006
    Berkeley DB: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.3.29: (September  6, 2005)
    Support for: crypteq iconv() IPv6 PAM Perl GnuTLS move_frozen_messages Content_Scanning Old_Demime
    Lookups: lsearch wildlsearch nwildlsearch iplsearch cdb dbm dbmnz dnsdb dsearch ldap ldapdn ldapm mysql nis nis0 passwd pgsql sqlite
    Authenticators: cram_md5 cyrus_sasl dovecot plaintext spa
    Routers: accept dnslookup ipliteral iplookup manualroute queryprogram redirect
    Transports: appendfile/maildir/mailstore/mbx autoreply lmtp pipe smtp
    Fixed never_users: 0
    Size of off_t: 8
    Configuration file is /etc/exim4/exim4.conf

So - I can't see that duplicate delivery *would* happen. What does
'exim4 -v -bV' show on your system?

    Best regards from Dresden
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -