Re: [exim] duplicate messages

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Renaud Allard
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] duplicate messages

--On 30 April 2008 11:48:36 +0200 Renaud Allard <renaud@???> wrote:

>> 1. I think the post-data timeout is 10 minutes. IE, ten minutes after
>> sending the message data, I haven't had a response. Is that correct?
>>
> That's what RFC recommends, but it may be configured another way.

Thanks. I wasn't able to find any reference to smtp timeouts in the docs -
only to retry timeouts. The smtp timeouts are specified in
src/transports/smtp.c like this:

  5*60,                /* command_timeout */
  5*60,                /* connect_timeout; shorter system default overrides
*/
  5*60,                /* data timeout */
  10*60,               /* final timeout */

I presume that the DATA timeout is 5 minutes before sending the message,
and FINAL is ten minutes waiting for acknowledgement after the end of the
message.

>> 2. Would the time stamp on this message correspond to the start or the
>> end of the ten minute timeout period?
>>

> AFAIK, this is the end of the timeout period.

Yes, that figures. Otherwise the timestamp would appear to be late in my
log file. It doesn't.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex