[exim] duplicate messages

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] duplicate messages
Hi,

I've seen some message duplication, sending messages to another site. I'm
running Exim 4.64, and they're running 4.43

It looks to me as if the problem is that they're accepting messages without
sending the final ACK post data. For example, I have a log entry like this:

I've obfuscated, because I'm not asking about the remote site.
2008-04-15 09:32:21 JZCXWF-000G1T-0W ==
    foo@???
    R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp_rew
    defer (60): Operation timed out: SMTP timeout
    while connected to example.com [x.x.x.x]
    after end of data (1189 bytes written)

I have a couple of questions about how to interpret this:

1. I think the post-data timeout is 10 minutes. IE, ten minutes after
sending the message data, I haven't had a response. Is that correct?

2. Would the time stamp on this message correspond to the start or the end
of the ten minute timeout period?

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex