Re: [exim] Ocasional 'Unrouteable address'-message with LDAP…

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Mark Schouten
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Ocasional 'Unrouteable address'-message with LDAPenvironment
On 2008-04-22 at 19:12 +0200, Mark Schouten wrote:
> We do not do any recipient checking as these checks are done on the
> frontend-machines, but all of these users exist on the machines where
> delivery takes place.
> The users exists thanks to libnss-ldap, combined with nscd.
>
> As far as I can tell, the only thing that could cause these messages to
> bounce is 'check_local_user'. According to the Exim documentation,
> check_local_user does a getpwnam. Should I assume that, if Exim says
> 'Unrouteable address', the getpwnam-reply was 'User does not exist'? If
> so, the problem would lie in nscd, giving false replies. As far as I can
> see Exim should tempfail if it sees an LDAP error, and not 'Unrouteable
> address'.
>
> If anyone has a cluebat, please hit me with it. :)

nscd flaws are not implausible. Your clue-level seems sufficient. :^)

Take check_local_user out of the picture by using a direct LDAP lookup
in a condition instead and see if that fixes it? Do this on one of the
three boxes, compare error rates.

Make sure that you have sufficient indexing on the LDAP read-only caches
being used for these queries that the servers can handle this without
nscd buffering it, of course.

Check "10.7 Named list caching" which might be useful, depending upon
the queries you end up using, to reduce repeat queries from within one
process. Also, if data from receive-time will be used again at delivery
time and this can be deferred to a queue-runner, consider using an ACL
variable or two to hold the results of the lookup to avoid repeat
queries.

-Phil