Re: [exim] clamd: killed last night

Author: Johann Spies
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] clamd: killed last night
On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 08:11:23PM +1000, Ted Cooper wrote:

> Someone asked about this kind of thing last year and I suggested they
> use the clamd PING to see if it's there. They took that idea and created
> an awesome little system and posted the entire thing to the mailing
> list. You could use something very similar to test to see if clamd is
> working and if it's not, skip or defer the malware tests.
>
> The existence of the socket file does not mean that clamd is running,
> just that it wasn't deleted if clamd crashed.
>
> It's available in the archive here:
>

>http://lists.exim.org/lurker/message/20070918.172526.ff9818ec.en.html

Thanks for the link.

We use something simple that also seems to work: Two nagios plugins:
=================
#!/bin/bash

function usage {
        echo "Gebruik: toets_clamd"
        exit -1

}
aantal_clam_sokke=`sudo netstat -plnx | grep \/clamd -c`

if [ $aantal_clam_sokke -eq  1 ]
   then
        echo OK - Clamd luister
        exit 0
fi

if [ $aantal_clam_sokke -eq  0 ]
   then
        echo Krities - Clamd-sok bestaan nie
        exit 2
fi

exit 3
=================
It uses netstat to determine whether clamd is listening and if not
nagios will restart the daemon.

I see the latest nagios has a built-in plugin "check_clamav" .

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer
      and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests
      be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which
      passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts
      hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."
                           Philippians 4:6,7