Re: [exim] imap recomendation

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Steve Dobson
To: Arvid Ephraim Picciani
CC: Exim Users
Betreff: Re: [exim] imap recomendation
Arvid

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 16:04 +0100, Arvid Ephraim Picciani wrote:
> be lucky you can use outlook. we can't becouse we're stuck with linux. Imap
> isn't exactly easy to implement and so you can expect most clients to just
> suck at it.

I'm a Linux user and have been a Unix hack since about 1989. I don't
run any
Windows OSs personally and haven't since Win95. I did work for a
company that
forced me to use Win2K but I didn't enjoy the experience. I guess it
what you're
use to. The tools you use to do shape the way you look at a problem and
how
you solve it.

I now free lance as a consultant and one of my clients decided that he
need some
key functions on a fail-over system after the PDU died in his M$
SBServer. Now I
will not blame M$ for hardware failures, not my style. The fault here
was his.
Even though the server had slots for two PDU he only had one. Not the
case any
more.

But it did show him how reliant his business was on SBServer. When it
was off-line
for two days (waiting for a replacement PDU) no one could work. No
access to e-mails,
no access to files. That made him realise that his business needed a
fail-over
system for some key functions: e-mail and files.

He first when to some other consultants looking for a simple solution
for file
storage and e-mail. The prices varied, but they were all high, and he
said with
the maximum cost came out at £20,000 - for just the hardware and
software.

When he asked me I came up with a Linux based solution which only cost
£2.500.
Of course that was just the hardware costs because all the software used
is free.
Another advantage of using a different OS to his primary system is that
it is very
unlikely that malware will take out both primary and backup system at
the same time.

I guess what I'm saying is that the best solutions to a problem are
those that use
a variety of different platforms. Interoperability is the key to the
smooth
running of a business over the inevitable failures and problems that
will come
along.

> Oh list-id. awesome idea. I always used To and got pissed becouse some people
> use CC ;)

And should anyone use the BCC header you wouldn't be able to filter it
at all. I
wish I could claim credit for the idea of using the list-id, but I was
told on a
Debian mail-list that that was the best way of filtering.

Steve

--
Steve Dobson

That does not compute.