Re: [exim] Slightly OT: autodelete older emails

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Marc Sherman
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [exim] Slightly OT: autodelete older emails
Yan Seiner wrote:
> I am using exim .forward to put all mailist emails into a single lists
> file. Now I would like to set up that list file as a ringbuffer, so
> that when a new email comes in, an older one drops off. (most maillists
> are archived anyway, so there's no point in keeping old emails).
>
> I can either do this as each mail comes in, or daily in batch, but how
> do I set up a filter to delete older emails? Or should I write a script
> to do this from cron?

Cron is definitely the right way to do this; you don't want to inspect
your entire mailstore possibly hundreds of times a day as each message
arrives, looking for old messages to expire.

I do something similar with my Sent folder (moving messages older than
two weeks to an Archive folder) and it works well.

- Marc