Re: [exim] Mail server does not recognize me

Author: Nigel Wade
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Mail server does not recognize me
Haines Brown wrote:
> I have a desktop system (debian etch, 192.168.1.2) that works through
> a router modem (192.168.1.1) and has no trouble sending and receiving
> mail via procmail. I've attachied a laptop to the router a laptop
> (sidux, 192.168.1.3) that also runs exim4, uses procmail, and is
> configured the same. While the laptop can receive mail, it can't send
> it:
>
>   SMPT error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<bogus@???>:
>   host mymail.myregisteredsite.com [209.237.134.152]:
>   553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts
>     (*5.7.1)

> The /etc/resolv.conf file on both machines looks to DHCP served by the
> router and so has the sole address: 192.168.1.1.
>
> First, a simple question: There are exim troubleshooting projects that
> use exim from the command line with certain arguments. My exim is
> running as a daemon; how do I change to run exim from the command
> line?
>
> When I use the host command, I'd assume that the return to both
> machines would be identical, but it isn't. From my desktop that has a
> working exim:
>
> $ host -v hartford-hwp.com
> Trying "hartford-hwp.com"
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 3
>
> With the laptop:
>
>   $ host -v hartford-hwp.com
>   Query about hartford-hwp.com about for record types A
>   Trying "hartford-hwp.com"
>   Query done, 1 Answer, status: no error
>   The following answer is not authoritative:

> Why would the mail server be unwilling to give the full information in
> the case of the laptop, but sends it all for the desktop?
>
> /etc/hosts for the two machines:
>
>   127.0.0.1    localhost.localdomain localhost
>   192.168.1.1     teufel.hartford-hwp.com teufel

> for the laptop:
>
>   127.0.0.1    localhost.localdomain localhost
>   192.168.1.1     langhans.hartford-hwp.com langhans

> I'm not sure about this. I'm assigning the router's address to both
> machines. Is that correct?

The main problem is your hosts file.

You say above that the router is 192.168.1.1, so that should be the same
in both hosts files. The desktop is 192.168.1.2 and the laptop is
192.1682.1.3. So, put entries for both of those in the /etc/hosts files,
and name them accordingly.

The most likely problem is that your laptop is not getting assigned a
sensible hostname, and the mail domain which Exim is appending to the
sender is not one which your hosting service is configured to relay for.
I don't know how Debian configures the hostname, you'd need to look into
that yourself. But getting the /etc/hosts correct is the first step.

Also, check the settings in /etc/reslov.conf on both machines. They
should be the same, but appear not to be.

E-mail :    nmw@???
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555