Re: [exim] Mail server does not recognize me

Author: H. Haines Brown
To: Peter Bowyer
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Mail server does not recognize me
> On 18/03/2008, Haines Brown <brownh@???> wrote:
>
> >   SMPT error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<bogus@???>:
> >   host mymail.myregisteredsite.com [209.237.134.152]:
> >   553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts
> >     (*5.7.1)

> So the server at mymail.myregisteredsite.com isn't configured to let
> you relay to msn.com. Is that server in your control? It's hard to
> tell from your email. And since 'SMTP' is spelled wrong in the error
> message you quoted, I suspect you might have altered it before you
> posted it - which is not helpful.

No, the mail server at mymail.myregisteredsite.com does not belong to
me. It is the mail service provided by my web hosting service. The
server is not under my control.

I have no problem using this mail server from my desktop, which is
configured the same as my laptop that has the problem sending
messages. No problem receiving messages on the laptop.

I can't send test messages to another address I have or to my wife or
to any other valid address. The mail server relays my messages from my
desktop machine, but not my laptop. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

I had to copy by hand the error message displayed by my laptop to a
message sent by my desktop. Hence the typo. Barring any other typos
;-), that is the error I got in the bounced message and which also
appears in exim log.

My desktop has the address 192.168.1.1 in /etc/hosts. When I changed
to a modem that had a router, It seems the router address is also
192.168.1.1. And my laptop hosts file has the same address.

Here is my desktop, which works:

# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination  Gateway         Genmask        Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.1.0  *               255.255.255.0  U     0      0     0 eth1
default      teufel.hartford 0.0.0.0        UG    0      0     0 eth1

Here is my laptop, which can't send mail:

# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination  Gateway         Genmask        Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.1.0  *               255.255.255.0  U     0      0     0 eth0
default      langhans.hartfo 0.0.0.0        UG    0      0     0 eth0

Haines Brown