Re: [exim] Newbie : Is Exim4 relevant for sending to an ISP …

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: Nigel Metheringham
To: Olivier
CC: exim-users
題目: Re: [exim] Newbie : Is Exim4 relevant for sending to an ISP requiring authentication ?

On 17 Mar 2008, at 08:51, Olivier wrote:
> Unfortunately, destination mailboxes are managed by an ISP which
> require
> SMTP and POP clients to somehow authenticate.

Thats a good thing.

> As my knowledge of exim4 and email programs is very limited, I'm
> wondering
> if there's a way for exim4 to provide these authentication data.

Exim can authenticate as an SMTP client. Information on this can be
found at
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch33.html#SECID170

> I wrote "somehow authenticate" as it's not very clear in my mind :
> - when we send emails during normal work hours, everything works fine
> - but when we send emails during off-hours (Week-Ends, nightime),
> relaying
> is denied ("Relaying denied" error message) and our ISP says we need
> authenticate just like Outlook clients do.

I suggest you check how your Outlook clients are configured, but I
suspect that they are using POP-before-SMTP authentication - meaning
that the SMTP server accepts SMTP messages sent from an IP address
that has authenticated to the POP server within the last x minutes.

It would be better to use proper SMTP authentication, and you need to
see if your ISP can provide that.

    Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham             Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]