Re: [exim] Email DNS Issue

Author: Exim Mailing List
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Email DNS Issue
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 01:07:31PM -0500, Matt wrote:
> I am running bind 9.2.4 and exim-4.60-1. I have a user complaining
> they cannot receive email from a certain person. I see in the log
> files: "temporarily rejected ... Could not complete sender verify".
> They have had this issue for weeks. The sender never receives a
> bounce either.
>
> "ERROR: ns.abcuser.net. has a CNAME entry
> (ns.abcuser.net.->ns1.xyzuser.net.); it is not valid to have a CNAME
> entry entry for the hostname in an NS record (for ns.abcuser.net.).
> See RFC1912 2.4 and RFC2181 10.3 for more information.
> ERROR: ns1.abcuser.net. has a CNAME entry
>
> They say they do not have trouble emailing anyone else. I really do
> not have trouble receiving email from anyone else with over a thousand
> heavily used accounts. So is this likely my problem or a problem at
> the sending domain?

Are you going to tell us the domain name you are having problems with?
How are we supposed to help if you obfuscate the details?

My guess is that you have an MX or an NS record referring to a CNAME,
which is not allowed, but the SERVFAILs may also indicate a lame
delegation. It could also be part of the NS->CNAME problem.
Impossible to tell for sure until you disclose the details of both
your domain name as well as the sender's domain name.

--
Dean Brooks
dean@???