[exim] Finding system bottlenecks to speed up Exim

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Marc Perkel
Para: exim-users
Asunto: [exim] Finding system bottlenecks to speed up Exim
I'm trying to figure out where the system bottlenecks are to speed up my
main Exim server. As many of you know I do front end spam filtering.
Email comes in, I clean it, and the good email goes off to the
customer's server.

I just took on a new customer who has an incredible amount of spam
coming and and it's a keeping up but taxing the server and I'm trying to
figure out where the bottleneck might be. The spam bots are hitting it
between 10-30 times a second.

I'm not running spam assassin or anything else but Exim on this server.
It is also configured to try to deliver good email only once and if it
fails it transfers the message to another server that does the retries.
So the message queues are not big.

The server is a dual core AMD running at 3ghz and has 8 gigs of ram.
Running 64bit Fedora 8.

The connection count floats from 1000 to 2500 connections. At 1200
connections load level is about 20. The server still processes email
fairly fast at load levels of 100. But I'd like to get the levels down
if possible. I suspect the high connection count is somewhat related to
spam bots failing to close connections and waiting till it times out.

I'm running the old xosview program to watch various loads. What I'm
seeing is that the CPU is not pegged at 100% all the time. Most of the
time it's below 100%. Xosview shows most CPU time is being used by the
system (kernel?) as opposed to buy usr (applications?).

Disk IO is not real heavy. It has a reasonably fast SATA II drive that's
not very full. Writes about 3 gigs of log file entries a day.

What I'm thinking is the slow part is the TCP stack. That managing the
number of connections is what is causing the high load. If what I
suspect is true then are there any tricks to make TCP go faster?

Or - what tools or tricks can I use to see where the bottleneck is?

Thanks in advance.