Re: [exim] dnsbls

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Phil \(Medway Hosting\)
Para: Exim Users List
Asunto: Re: [exim] dnsbls

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin A. Brooks" <martin@???>
To: <exim-users@???>
Cc: <exim-users-20071221@???>
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2008 7:46 AM
Subject: Re: [exim] dnsbls

> Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> > So I guess I'll be getting a bounce from you for this non-spam email,

also.

>   exim-users-20071221@???
>     SMTP error from remote mail server after DATA:
>     host mx0.rudolf.org.uk [91.84.196.3]: 550 No mail accepted from hosts

named after their IP addresses

The reason generic rDNS is blocked, is because I am a believer that "proper"
mail servers should have FCrDNS (although I don't insist on this yet).

Having a non generic PTR means that you are serious about running a mail
server, have taken the trouble to get it set up properly, are far less
likely to be a spammer who has signed up for a server with a duff credit
card, and not just some kid at home or a trojanned box !!

IT WORKS. That's why SA use it as spam sign. Look at the PTR's of any
selection of known legitimate mail servers. Very few (if any) will have
generic rDNS.

It is also a great way to cut down on lookups to BL's seeing as most dynamic
IP's have generic rDNS or even none at all. I believe I have only had 3
cases of FP's (although I don't consider them to be FP's) in the last year
(including Martin's !).

I wouldn't recommend leaving your PTR as it is, but "your network - your
rules" :-)

All the best

Phil

Website Hosting from only £5.00 per month.
www.medwayhosting.com - +44 (0)1634 856965

Digital & Traditional Printing, and much more
www.medwayprint.com - +44 (0)1634 281199