Re: [exim] smtp flood defense

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Heiko Schlittermann
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [exim] smtp flood defense
Ian FREISLICH <ianf@???> (Mi 12 Mär 2008 14:16:43 CET):

> > > Very bad idea to add delays if you are suffering from too many concurrent
> > > connections!
> >
> > You could defer instead.
>
> Except that I've seen reports of zombie armies reconnecting at very
> high rates when their connections are dropped. And defering on
> connect doesn't give you the connection slot back until the remote
> end disconnects, the connection times out or you drop it.

If you've linux, you might test using the TARPIT target, combined with
the hashlimit (keyed by srcip).

I'm not sure, if such tarpit feature could be implemented in an
userspace application, since I suspect that there's kernel support
neccessary.

From the iptables man page:
   TARPIT
       Captures  and holds incoming TCP connections using no local per-connec‐
       tion resources. Connections are accepted, but immediately  switched  to
       the persist state (0 byte window), in which the remote side stops send‐
       ing data and asks to continue every 60-240 seconds.  Attempts to  close
       the  connection  are  ignored,  forcing the remote side to time out the
       connection in 12-24 minutes.

--
Heiko