[exim] Exim 4.6x versus qmail (CRLF issue?)

Author: Christian Balzer
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Exim 4.6x versus qmail (CRLF issue?)

Hello,

I have a situation here where some obscure webmail application on a
remote system running qmail (gag) is able to generate differently formatted
output depending on which software the receiving MTA runs.
With another qmail (spit) box or ancient Exim 3.36 the resulting body is:
---

line1
line2
line3
---

When received by Exim 4.63 aka Debian Etch, it becomes:
---

line1

line2

line3
---

My guess is I'm looking at a combination of
---
4.13. qmail-remote does not handle CR properly.
qmail-remote will pass on bare CR and insert a CR before any LF. This can cause messages with bare CR or CRCRLF to appear on the wire.
Workaround: none
---
(from http://www-dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de/~ma/qmail-bugs.html)

and a changed default behavior in Exim 4 compared to 3 on how to interpret
these abominations?

Regards,

Christian
--
Christian Balzer        Network/Systems Engineer                NOC
chibi@???       Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Network Services