Re: [exim] Out of office solutions

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Andy Smith, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Out of office solutions

--On 5 March 2008 13:30:48 +0100 Andy Smith <a.smith@???> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> can anyone advise me on ways to implement an out of office solution on
> exim, where exim is being used as a POP3/SMTP mail system?
> I imagine I need a web front end to allow users to select if they are in
> or out of office and a simple rule in the exim config, are there any
> existing opensource web front ends for this type of requirement kicking
> around? Or in general what would those experienced with exim recommend
> me?

You should take great care not to reply to spam. If you use a spam scoring
mechanism, then set a very low threshold for this. Better: confine the
autoreplies to your own domain.

The danger is that spam usually carries a forged sender address, so you can
place a heavy load on the person whose address is forged. And, you risk
getting blacklisted.

Check the exim filter specification, which provides auto-reply
functionality.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex