Re: [exim] Fastest Exim server ever

Author: Brian Blood
Subject: Re: [exim] Fastest Exim server ever
On Mar 1, 2008, at 9:08 PM, Marc Perkel wrote:

> Brian Blood wrote:
>> On Mar 1, 2008, at 8:07 AM, Marc Perkel wrote:
>>

>>> What makes you think that Postfix is faster than Exim? Have you
>>> tested it?
>>>

>> In short, yes.
>>
>> My opinion is based on over ten years of developing/managing sites/
>> systems that put out a LOT of email. As in tens of thousands per run
>> on a daily basis on average for these systems, some smaller, some
>> larger. We've tested/deployed most of the major MTAs and from my
>> experience, Postfix is by far much faster and handles large amounts
>> of outbound email much better than Exim does.
>>

> Thanks Brian, If I end up working on this project then I'll need to
> test
> it with Postfix as well. I have to say that as a loyal member of the
> Exim cult I'm having a hard time thinking that there is a greater
> deity
> out there. :)

I understand that perfectly.

The "E" in ECMSquared stands for Exim, so it's obviously an integral
part of our solution. But part of our custom config is the ability to
define a smart host which for most sites we deploy our system on is
usually Postfix.

Each MTA has it's strengths and weaknesses.

Postfix, for example, is a pain to configure for flexible table
driven SMTP Auth.

Exim kicks every other MTA's butt by at least an order of magnitude
in terms of flexibility and ability to truly PROGRAM your incoming
email architecture.

Qmail is a good performer, but is fatally flawed in several core
behaviors and it's a bit of a bear to extend as you mostly have to
recompile in a patch for any new/non-core feature.

Sendmail is a excellent performer for outbound delivery, but is truly
an exercise in convoluted configuration.

Communigate is a great full suite system and is truly outstanding in
terms of it's stability and scalability, but the cost is prohibitive
to some organizations. Being a commercial product limits the adoption
rate of tools in the ever-expanding arms race against spam. (no
"delay" capability that stops a good percentage of spam)

Another 2 cents.

Brian