Re: [exim] Godaddy, SMTP Relay w/Authentication

Author: Al Rozell
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Godaddy, SMTP Relay w/Authentication
Phil Pennock wrote:
> On 2008-02-29 at 23:31 -0500, Al Rozell wrote:
>
>> Thanks very much Phil , I am half way home... I added the
>> +SMTP_configuration and did get confirmation from godaddy. Your
>> return_path idea did get the mail sent.
>> Unfortunately, return_path is not being set to what i am setting :) (but
>> the mail is going out)... It is showing up as Sender:
>> Apache@myinternalservername.
>>

> Where is that showing up? In a tcpdump (authoritative)? Or in the Exim
> loglines which have '<=' on them, showing the sender _as_received_?
>
> You want to use +return_path_on_delivery in log_selector to see the
> return_path as sent; *not* sender_on_delivery.
>
>   * return_path_on_delivery: The return path that is being transmitted with the
>     message is included in delivery and bounce lines, using the tag P=. This is
>     omitted if no delivery actually happens, for example, if routing fails, or
>     if delivery is to /dev/null or to ":blackhole:".

>   * sender_on_delivery: The message's sender address is added to every delivery
>     and bounce line, tagged by F= (for "from"). This is the original sender
>     that was received with the message; it is not necessarily the same as the
>     outgoing return path.

> -Phil

Victory! Using a combination of the return_path fix you suggested and
quick header rewrite to fix the sender. I am 100% in
business. Thanks again for all your help Phil.

The line below is for the search engines. Anyone trying to figure out
how to do SMTP relay with Godaddy and Exim .. might need this thread.

Godaddy Exim SMTP Relay Authentication