Re: [exim] Unwanted bounce messages generated locally

Inizio della pagina
Autore: Graeme Fowler
To: exim users
Oggetto: Re: [exim] Unwanted bounce messages generated locally
On Thu, 2008-02-21 at 21:25 +0000, W B Hacker wrote:
> By stupidly listing entire *countries* rfc-ignorant does do harm. More
> harm than good.

Note: I'm not tub-thumping on anyone's behalf here, I am merely trying
to proffer an objective POV...

They publish their listing criteria. They operate according to their
listing criteria. They de-list - guess what? - according to the obverse
of their listing criteria.

I've had much success with sorting out dumb problems causing listing on
*.rfc-ignorant.org in a previous job, and would like to think that if I
needed to again that I'd have the same.

Anyone who chooses to reject messages based on a listing in *any* DNSBL
where they do not understand, or totally disagree with, the listing
choices (like, say, in the previous thread mentioning "tick this box to
do X" control panels) is the one in the wrong, not the DNSBL operator.

As it stands, .de (amongst others) have chosen to deviate - for their
own specific reasons - from RFC3912 and have, therefore, been listed in
whois.rfc-ignorant.org. Many other ccTLDs are the same, as well as many
SLDs.

I could argue (and have, with variant degrees of success over time) that
there are several DNSBL operators out there with opaque listing
policies. I have to say that, like it or not (and I frequently don't),
rfc-ignorant.org isn't one of them. Their criteria are published, and if
there's a breach of the criteria which is brought to their attention,
they'll list something for that reason.

Whosoever chooses to use their lists does so at their own risk, using
their own knowledge. If that knowledge is thin on the ground, that is
*not* the DNSBL operator's problem.

Graeme