Re: [exim] Unwanted bounce messages generated locally

Autor: Renaud Allard
A: Yves Goergen
CC: exim-users, Nigel Metheringham
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Unwanted bounce messages generated locally

Yves Goergen wrote:

> Thank you very much, Nigel. Should I now hate you for that? Well, should
> be no problem to get off it again.

Indeed, but you can only do it once. The second time, they won't remove
you as they know you will put the ban back.

>Away, the entire rfc-ignorant site
> seems a bit broken, since *.de is on the whois list... What is a service
> worth that "blocks out" *all* German domains?! And who knows what else.

.be is there too for example. For good reasons, as blind people cannot
use the whois because the info is only in the web based one and it asks
for a visual puzzle.

> I'm now going to score all RFC_* rules to 0 in my spam filter.

You will do, but not much people will, so being listed will always be at
your disadvantage.

> A brief
> check showed that while it catches much spam, that spam would easily be
> catched by other rules, too. On the other side, it may really produce a
> ton of false positives. IMO the rfc-ignorant list is not suitable for
> use in a spam filter system in any way. At least for the postmaster,
> abuse and whois parts.

I tend to agree for whois.

> So as you were so kind to squal on me, do you have any solid reasons why
> today (in the year 2008) anybody would need a postmaster mailbox?

To receive mails from people who are wrongly filtered. The contacts on
the whois page cannot be used if you still don't accept their mails there.

> guess you have never used a postmaster address in your life nor looked
> into the log files of a mail server close enough. If you had, you'd see
> that the *only* purpose of a postmaster address in the real world is to
> accept spam. At least, I have never had the need for a postmaster
> mailbox myself, nor do I know anybody who does. Should you have any
> problem with one of the domains I'm hosting, and then you're too lazy to
> look into the whois to find the provider and then use the contact web
> form or write an e-mail to the address written in that page's imprint,
> there's no more I can do for you.

Unless you are blind and required to solve something visual to access
the info in the whois.

Don't take me wrong, postmaster address generally receives most spam and
is generally not needed as you said. But it may sometimes be useful.