Re: [exim] e-mail account

Autor: Phil Pennock
A: Adam Tetz
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] e-mail account
On 2008-02-21 at 10:04 +0100, Adam Tetz wrote:
> I've got a quick question, i have a linux Debian machine and there's exim 4
> on it. I use the Linux machine for hobbit monitoring, and now i cunfigured
> an alert that it should send an e-mail when somethnigs wrong. But i need to
> configure an e-mail account to i suppose so where do i do this?
>

> any suggestions?

Route the mail to an email address where you already read email, because
if there's a special mailbox which you have to check for alerts but
alerts are rare, then you'll slip and stop checking; this is human
nature, when a rarely useful task requires checking in such a way, it's
just another form of bureaucracy which requires bureaucracy to make it
work at all, when there are so many other competing demands for your
time.

Either configure the address directly in the monitoring software, or use
/etc/aliases (referenced from your system_aliases Router or whatever
else it might have been renamed to in Debian) to rewrite the address to
the correct one.

Ultimately, you should have a remote address which Exim will route off
the box using SMTP. "exim -bt original@???" will confirm this.
If not, stick a -d in there for debugging and check that you can send
mail off the box.

-Phil