Re: [exim] replacing a mail server

Góra strony
Autor: Graeme Fowler
Dla: exim-users
Temat: Re: [exim] replacing a mail server
On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 14:37 +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> When replacing a mail server, what is the best way to get rid of the
> emails in the queue of the old server?

Build the new one, put it online and then create a manualroute router on
the old server to punt all your old queued mail off to the new machine.
If the new machine is going to reside on the same IP as the old one,
shut the old one down, bring up the new one, then move the old one to a
temporary IP address and do the same thing.

> Is it wise to copy the contents of /var/spool/exim4 from the old one
> to the new one?

No, not really - you might have changed db formats, for example, so the
hints databases may no longer work properly. I'm sure there are other
things too.

Graeme