Re: [exim] customizing 451 host lookup did not complete

Author: Oliver von Bueren
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] customizing 451 host lookup did not complete
WJCarpenter wrote:
> Some MUAs are sloppy and don't tell me who the bad recipient is when
> they get bad news after RCPT TO:. Thus, I don't know which of

For exactly that reason, I don't do any rejection at RCPT TO level for
MUAs.

To implement this, you best use SMTP authentication on a submission port
for the MUAs and don't do any recipient verification during the SMTP
transaction. The sending user will then get a bounce message in case of
a wrong address, which lists the failed address in the message body.
That works with any MUA.

BTW: You won't get Outl00k to work with 5xx-Responses correctly ever,
not until M$ changes it's software. Many tried, and to my knowledge,
never succeeded.

Oliver