Re: [exim] Bug in Exim->Dovecot Auth SMTP

Author: Chris Laif
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Bug in Exim->Dovecot Auth SMTP
On 2/7/08, Nigel Metheringham <nigel.metheringham@???> wrote:
> On 7 Feb 2008, at 16:34, Chris Laif wrote:
> > AFAICS both bugs are different. I've attached my (trivial) patch
> > below. I've applied the fix to the production servers 4 days ago and
> > didn't experience any problems yet.
>
> I committed a slightly more defensive patch to the CVS a couple of days
> back (if it gets to this point then fd should be valid, but checking it
> to see what its state is seemed like a good idea)
>
>    http://vcs.exim.org/viewvc/exim/exim-src/src/auths/dovecot.c?r1=1.8&r2=1.9

> That should also fix the problem in the future.

Thank you for your quick answer. This should work fine for anybody.

I think the best possible solution would be to make Exim re-use the
old FD for all auth requests. Then, there would be no additional costs
for opening the socket, doing handshake and so on. Unfortunately, my
programming skills are not good enough to change the code that way :)

Chris