Re: [exim] Using smartrelay getting unrouteable address erro…

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Andy Smith
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Using smartrelay getting unrouteable address error
On 2008-02-02 at 11:42 +0100, Andy Smith wrote:
>    yeah appologies, I did mangle the email address I posted, good to know
> this is done automatically by the list
> and in any future messages I may post Ill will not mess with the
> information. Domian.net isnt the domain I was
> attempting to email, and the address is valid cos as mentioned when I sub in
> an exim config from another system
> I can deliver mail without problems.

Without knowing the real domain, we can't do things to sanity-check our
understanding of the problem and give good responses. For instance, the
error message you gave is identical to the one you'd get for a domain
which doesn't have MX/A records in DNS: Unrouteable address.

You have to know a lot about the problem space to know when it's safe to
obfuscate and accept that there are many people who won't answer a
question, on principal, even in those cases. I say this as someone who
sometimes obfuscates. ;^)

> Taking a step back from my specific problem, can I just check that Im my
> thinking is actually ok on the subject of
> smartrelay pls?
> My understanding of this option under sendmail is that it allows any mail
> not local to the localhost to be
> automatically relied to a named SMTP server (actually not smart at all, but
> a dumb forward regardless
> of the destination). Im imagining that smartrelay will function more or less
> the same in EXIM, am I wrong?

You are not wrong. And the idea is that the relay, or remote host, is
the one with the "smarts", so it's a smarthost.

But you have nothing which looks to me like a smarthost Router.

smarthost:
driver = manualroute
domains = ! +local_domains
transport = remote_smtp
route_data = my.smarthost.tld

It's that simple. You manually route, supplying route_data of the
remote hostname, using your normal remote SMTP transport; you don't do
this for domains which you handle locally. Put this first, or after any
specially-handled remote domains.

You very probably can also add "no_more" to that, so that if it's not a
local domain then no other routers will be tried, and so avoid even
trying any other Routers. If you want to make it more robust, you can
decorate it with "ignore_target_hosts" and bad IP address space (see the
default configuration for an example) and if you're sure that _all_
addresses for any remote domain will use the same smarthost router
(almost certainly the case) then you can also add
"same_domain_copy_routing", which is an optimisation.

-Phil