Re: [exim] Rewrite FROM address

Author: Jethro R Binks
Subject: Re: [exim] Rewrite FROM address
On Sat, 26 Jan 2008, Luke Sheldrick wrote:

> However to reply to groups, I have subscribed to using this method,
> means the mail has to come from that address. The way I am doing it, is
> to setup a new imap account in my email software. However this is
> getting all a bit much :P
>
> Is there a way to get exim to rewrite the from, if the to is a paticular
> address. I.e. If a mail comes from luke@???, destined for
> user-forum@???, it can rewrire it to
> luke+somesite@????
>
> I am guessing it can, but havent a clue on the config.

The answer with Exim is almost always "yes", however it's not necessarily
the easiest or best place to do it!

In this case, many sensible mail clients will allow you to configure
sending 'profiles' (or similar terminology), which either automatically
(based on matched patterns in the message to which you are replying) or
manually (based on you selecting from a list of profiles) set an
appropriate From: header.

In Pine there are the Role Rules, and at least Thunderbird will let you
set up identities attached to accounts, from which you can chose when
composing a message to set the appropriate From: address (and maybe select
other folders for filing sent messages).

I do not know if Entourage provides a comparable facility.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services
University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK