Re: [exim] disclaimers :-(

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] disclaimers :-(
Jeroen van Aart <kroshka@???> (Fr 25 Jan 2008 21:38:38 CET):
> Someone had the bright idea that those pesky disclaimers at the bottom
> of emails are a good thing. What is common practice and how'd I
> implement it in exim? I assume that this ought to be done for external
> recipients only and not for local email. I am sure this has been asked
> before, if so please point me to the right documentation.
>
> And if this is a bad idea (I think so) I'd like to know it and why. :-)

It's useless. If the message is crypto signed, there is no point in
adding unsigned stuff. If the message is not crypto signed, anybody can
add / remove anything, thus there is no point too.

Exim is a *transport* agent. And a transport agent should not change a
message more than neccessary.

To find some peace - when we were asked for such implentation we always
answer with the above. It's up the the *client* to create a full
featured message. But -- we always offered to use the transport agent to
check(!) if there is something that looks like such nice disclaimer.

(This could be done in the data acl, I suppose.)

    Best regards from Dresden
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -