Re: [exim] Off Topic - Or is it ?

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Off Topic - Or is it ?
Ian Eiloart wrote:

> --On 18 January 2008 13:45:52 -0800 Phil Pennock <exim-users@???>
> wrote:
>
>> So typing HELO and VRFY into an SMTP session are now fraudulent,
>> impersonating a computer. Never mind that the older RFC-series
>> protocols such as SMTP were deliberately designed to be something a
>> human could type in. Every mail-admin on this mailing-list is probably
>> in trouble on that score, now.
>
> No, they're not. This was a civil case, which doesn't set criminal (or even
> civil) precedent. Even if it did, the jurisdiction is limited only to North
> Dakota.

Even better - that particular case record is *so* heavily flawed that it
might - in retrospect - actually help de-fang any attempt to use it -
even IN North Dakota.

Not to mention having heightened awareness of the need for being better
prepared with accurate information if/as/when a case should arise that
does NOT predominently hinge on the strange antics of what appear to be
outright fools on all sides.

The US legal system is a mess - but I'm not losing any sleep over this one.

Bill