Re: [exim] How to have port 80 open, along with a website?

Author: Leonardo Boselli
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How to have port 80 open, along with a website?
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, Phil Pennock wrote:
> there are then inherent race conditions. A multi-second timeout for
> waiting for an HTTP request would be possible but would be far too
> fragile for use in a production environment with paying customers.

I found myself in one of such situations: i was in a site where was active
a proxy that required authentication, but i discovered that they left one
port "free". it was the 110 since using a safe proxy is quite inconvenient
for POP3 (if someone know one please tell me, it would be useful).
next time i will be there i will activate some sort of VPN on that port on
a server and will be happy.
One could think about a sequencing way, in wich a firevall on the server
is set to redirect connection from a particular host to internal port 110
or 25 according a command. The default is web server.
If one access a certain page for 30' all connections from that IP are
routed to smtp server. If one want back http just send a message to a
conventional address such "iwanthttp@???" and teh firewaal will
switch.
The drawback is that if there are more than one people using the same IP
at the same time the command could be switched at inappropriate time (but
it should not break an existing connection)