Re: [exim] Urgent help needed. Exim 4.67 stopped working.

Author: Dave Lugo
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Urgent help needed. Exim 4.67 stopped working.
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Daevid Vincent wrote:

> After calling Comcast, it appears that yes, I have been port 25 blocked.

Is this consumer-grade, dynamic IP'd service? If so, it's not suprising
that they blocked port 25. Given the amount of compromised systems on
broadband consumer networks, blocking outbound port 25 is considered 'best
practice'. If more providers did it, there would be a lot less spam.

> They said it was due to excessive email and suspect a virus. I tried to
> explain that I work for a security company. I don't have viruses. I run
> a virus checker on all my computers at home. My server is secure. Tough
> shit. Once you're blocked, you can NEVER get out of it they said.
> Awesome.

Relay using 587 to some external smarthost.

> http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq/FaqDetails.ashx?ID=4394
> Indicates there is this cooling off 24 hour period. But the guy on the
> phone seemed to indicate it was permanent.
>
> So what are my choices? I'm in no way shape or form an exim/SMTP/mail
> guru. I got this configured through help of a friend and this list, and
> have left it alone since.

See above.

Disclaimer: I use comcast at home too - but I also have a biz dsl account
($40/month) with a /29, which is what I do my server-$foo.

Dave Lugo   dlugo@???    LC Unit #260   TINLC