Re: [exim] Urgent help needed. Exim 4.67 stopped working.

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Daevid Vincent
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Urgent help needed. Exim 4.67 stopped working.
On 2008-01-17 at 16:41 -0800, Daevid Vincent wrote:
> Last night between 11am and 2am (sorry, I forget the time now), Comcast
> had a service issue, and my IP went wacky for an hour or so. Before I
> went to bed, I had received my same IP address back again and everything
> seemed fine (yet I hadn't checked mail since just prior to the outtage).

On another mailing-list, a certain Dave Farber has today expressed his
displeasure at Comcast in the Pittsburgh area for blocking port 25
outbound, unannounced. So Comcast are making changes today.

I can't _wait_ to get home and find out what part of my service they've
broken today. Unfortunately they have the de-facto monopoly for
non-dialup Internet access where I live. Perhaps this will be another
weekend where for hours at a time no TCP session can stay up for more
than 20 minutes.

Perhaps you should look into renting a virtual machine in a managed
facility somewhere and running your external services there? If you
find one which doesn't have half its IP address space blacklisted,
anyway. Then you can have that as your external shim "presence",
providing SMTP etc, with Submission service for you to use from home.

-Phil, very very glad he invested in colo with a techie coop in NL
       before moving home.