Re: [exim] port 587

Author: Jeroen van Aart
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] port 587
W B Hacker wrote:
> Another port, yes. But that still does not justify ignoring IETF/IANA
> w/r *465*. Especially since they reserve port 24 for 'any private email

What is easier to ignore, IETF/IANA, or a complaining user base who
suddenly find their email (their internet) is broken? I assume 465 at
some point was "offically" for encrypted smtp, then it changed. But I am
sure anyone knows how hard it is to get rid of ingrown habits.

As a side note, I see port 0 recently got assigned, which feels a bit
unfair, it should be reserved (for the sake of it :-)

spr-itunes        0/tcp    Shirt Pocket netTunes
spl-itunes        0/tcp    Shirt Pocket launchTunes
     David Nanian <dnanian&shirt-pocket.com> 28 September 2007

Regards,
Jeroen