Re: [exim] Out of Office and collateral spam

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Jeroen van Aart, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Out of Office and collateral spam

--On 21 December 2007 11:28:12 -0800 Jeroen van Aart <kroshka@???>
wrote:

> Ian Eiloart wrote:
>> You've missed the point. An OoO reply to a spam message will almost
>
> I don't think I missed it.
>
>> If I send you a message, and I get an auto-reply from you, of course
>> that's not spam. If I get 1000 autoreplies per day, in response to a
>> message that I didn't send, then that's spam.
>
> Not necessarily. Because each message is sent by a different auto
> replier. From your perspective it may feel like spam (ugh ;-)

And, who else is qualified to make that judgement?

> it can't
> be pinpointed to one person who is sending you all this.

No, it can't. That's not the point. It's a problem that can't be resolved
by one person, but by collective action.

> Unless of course you could blame the spammer for the backscatter caused

by spam.
> Which I guess isn't as easy, seeing it is already hard to at least
> legally blame spammer.
>
>> It can be, if used with caution. You need to have a very good spam
>> filter in front of it.
>
> I found it needs no filter in order to work right. Also I must see the
> first case where someone gets 1000s of auto replies due to this.

I've seen several instances over the past few years where I've had to
disable user accounts here because of backscatter. This isn't simply a
theoretical problem.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex