Re: [exim] exim4 is blocking port 80

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim4 is blocking port 80
On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 05:31 +0000, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Ermm, no, it almost certainly isn't. Not unless, for reasons best known
> to yourself, you've configued it to listen on port 80.

I recall a problem in my previous dayjob whereby Exim being called by
PHP from a web page on an extremely busy server could occasionally
dissociate from the parent process but inherit its' environment,
including "listening" on port 80. The trigger seemed to be that Apache
was given a "graceful" (USR1?) signal to reload its' configuration.

I say "listening" in quotes because it wasn't, really, but it did bind
to port 80 and prevent Apache from restarting fully.

Unfortunately I completely forgot the solution to this. In the dim
recesses of my mind I seem to recall it being a PHP or Apache problem,
not really Exim, but I could be wrong.

Graeme