Re: [exim] Saslatuhd

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Daniel Aquino
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Saslatuhd
On 2007-12-27 at 12:56 -0500, Daniel Aquino wrote:
> Is there any command line switches or some method I can use to test my
> configured authentication ?

This is as a server, right?

So, try to connect as a client and authenticate.

Perhaps using "exim -d+auth -oX 26 -bd" to listen on another port,
without detaching and becoming a daemon, with lots of debugging output.

If you're after an existing SMTP client which can handle STARTTLS and
then plaintext, or using non-plaintext auth methods, then I quite like
"smtpc" from Tony Finch; web-page:
http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~fanf2/
with much useful Exim information; the link is "a small SMTP client"
near the bottom; it handles CRAM-MD5, EXTERNAL, LOGIN & PLAIN.

If you want to use a "real" SMTP client for confirmation, then the
latest mutt releases include native SMTP support and
"smtp_authenticators" will let you set the authentication method used;
that has the advantage of supporting all the authentication methods that
Cyrus SASL supports (including DIGEST-MD5 and GSSAPI).

The Cyrus IMAP server comes with some supporting test programs which
might be available separately under your OS's package management system;
in particular, "smtptest" which is quite flexible.

smtpc, smtptest and mutt all support non-standard ports, so connecting
to a debug port shouldn't be a problem.

-Phil