Re: [exim] Out of Office and collateral spam

Author: Patrick von der Hagen
To: Ian Eiloart
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Out of Office and collateral spam
Am Donnerstag, den 20.12.2007, 09:51 +0000 schrieb Ian Eiloart:
[...]
> But, this doesn't address the question of rejecting email. And, I don't see
> anything in the rest of the email that suggests that you can't reject email
> that you know to be spam.

In the first part I told you that you can do almost anything about spam
(and that does include rejecting it) when some requirements are met.
In the following examples I discussed that rather often private use of
e-mail is permitted and that you are likely to need a written statement
of every employee to be allowed to do something about spam. The reason:
a false-positive of your anti-spam-solution might affect their private
e-mail. "Doing something about spam" includes rejecting at smtp-time.

Anti-virus is different. A virus might bring down the company. If you
have bad luck with a virus, you are out of business. The number of
false-posivites in virus-detection is considered to be low. Therefore
you are allowed to detect and reject at smtp-time.

--
CU,
Patrick.