Re: [exim] Out of Office and collateral spam

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Patrick von der Hagen
CC: exim-users
New-Topics: [exim] Legality of spam rejection (Re: Out of Office andcollateral spam)
Subject: Re: [exim] Out of Office and collateral spam

--On 19 December 2007 21:25:15 +0100 Patrick von der Hagen
<hagen@???> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, den 19.12.2007, 16:11 +0000 schrieb Ian Eiloart:
> [...]
>> I understand that the situation is difficult in Germany, but you're
>> really not allowed to reject spam? What if you're subject to a denial
>> of service attack? Are you allowed to switch your servers off?
> Short answer: it depends. ;-) If I were under attack I would have lots
> of liberties in handling that precise situation. But of course that's
> not the normal situation.
>
> Imagine a new corporation in Germany which releases an email-policy
> right away, which clearly states that e-mail is to be used for
> business-purposes only. That would be a perfect situation and the
> company would be free to do almost anything about spam. I suppose it
> could even delete incoming messages suppposed to be spam, it would be
> nasty but probably legal. Non-spam-e-mail-issues would be easy and legal
> too. For example, if an employee had an accident, someone replacement
> person might be granted access to the mailbox.

But, this doesn't address the question of rejecting email. And, I don't see
anything in the rest of the email that suggests that you can't reject email
that you know to be spam.

Are you permitted to reject email that contains known viruses? That doesn't
comply with Internet standards?

Lots of the considerations below (privacy, for example) also apply in the
UK. You'd expect that, as we're both in the EU. However, none of the
considerations below prevent us from rejecting email from (for example)
known spam sources.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex