[exim] Too many bounces due to not-realtime delivery

Author: Marten Lehmann
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Too many bounces due to not-realtime delivery
Hello,

at this moment, we have a big problem with a lot of bounces.

We have two delivery cases in our exim setup:

1. an email is sent to a mailbox directly (e.g. lastname@???)

2. an email is sent to <anything>@domain.com and routed to
default@???

In the first case I think, that exim delivers the message in realtime
all the time (at least I hope so), so in case the mailbox is full, the
sender receives an SMTP-error during the SMTP-session in which he tried
to deliver the message to us.

In the second case, exim is configured to accept emails for
<anything>@domain.com in case the mailbox default@??? exists. So
in the first step I think exim accepts it and queues it and in the
second step it tries to deliver it to default@???. But if the
mailbox is full, then the SMTP-session has already been closed, so a
bounce needs to be send.

How can I tell exim to do realtime deliveries in all cases? The internal
deliveries are done by LMTP to a cyrus server. So in case the mailbox is
full, a permanent error shall be send to the SMTP-session. In case the
LMTP-server is not accessible, a temporary error shall be sent to the
SMTP-session. But in no cases they mail shall be queued if something is
wrong so that we have to send a bounce message.

Regards
Marten