Re: [exim] Regex or sg how

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Craig Jackson
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Regex or sg how
On 2007-12-14 at 11:30 -0600, Craig Jackson wrote:
> It wasn't permissions. It was a leading spaces issue that I couldn't see
> in the log, but which closer scrutiny of binlog revealed. For some
> reason Exim was passing data with leading spaces. Mysql trim() fuunction
> fixed it. Whew.

Following up because this indicates a conceptual problem in your Exim
config.

The extra whitespace was actually in what you posted to the list but I
figured there was some kind of cut&paste error or mail-client snafu,
especially since later in the same line there's an extra line-break
which couldn't have been in the original config.

You wrote:
----------------------------8< cut here >8------------------------------
MACRO:
CAPTURE_EHLO = CALL ehlo \
('${quote_mysql: ${lc:$sender_helo_name}}','${quote_mysql:
${lc:$sender_address_domain}}')
----------------------------8< cut here >8------------------------------

You do indeed have an extra space in what you're asking to be quoted;
everything between the colon (':') character and the closing brace
('}').

${quote_whatever:xyz} quotes xyz in its entirety, including spaces.
This is deliberate, since xyz might be the result of a lookup, or part
of an email address. Note that <""@???> is syntactically valid,
as is <" "@???>, <" foo "@???> (which is not the same as
<foo@???>), etc. So someone speaking SMTP to you can be
supplying some quite unexpected data, which is why it's important to
always quote correctly.

Remove those spaces and you won't need the trim.

-Phil