Re: [exim] Administrivia

Author: B. Johannessen
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Administrivia
Graeme Fowler wrote:
> Before someone kicks off another great debate over politeness (I can see
> the dust clouds on the horizon already) I'd like to ask, on behalf of
> the moderators, that everyone (including me!):

I'd like to add one more suggestion to your list if I may:

f) If the poster that bothers you is using a personal/vanity domain, the
following Sieve snippet is very efficient at maintaining the
signal/noise ratio. I'm using my own domain (db.org) as an example.
Substitute whatever domain you feel appropriate:

if header :contains ["from", "message-id", "references"] "@???" {
    fileinto "Trash";
    stop;
}

For those of you not fluent in Sieve, this will redirect any message
with the string "@db.org" in the From:, Message-ID: or References:
header fields to the Trash folder. This has the nice effect of not only
discarding messages from the person in question, but also the entire
sub-thread resulting from any of his messages.

Works great! I had to look in my Trash-folder to find out what Graeme
was talking about :-)

I'm sure the same thing is possible using an Exim-filter too.

And for the record; I know there's no guarantee that the domain used in
in From:, but in practice it has always been that way for the six or
seven cases where I've felt the need to use this trick.

One last thing; for those of you feed up with e-mail administrators from
the web-generation, the following snippet may also improves the
s/n-ratio of Exim-Users:

if header :contains ["from", "message-id", "references"] "nabble.com" {
    fileinto "Trash";
    stop;
}

    Bob