[exim] Strict header syntax checking on To header

Author: Mike Cardwell
Subject: [exim] Strict header syntax checking on To header
Hi,

We have a webmail system here that is generating emails in certain
circumstances containing "To" headers such as:

To: "Carol Arlett" <ccccccc@???>, B.B.Bbbbbbbbbb@???
<B.B.Bbbbbbbbbb@???>

Note the newline between, "B.B.Bbbbbbbbbb@???" and
"<B.B.Bbbbbbbbbb@???>"

We've just come across a remote exim installation not under our own
control that has rejected one of these messages. We contacted them and
asked for the log entry and it looks like this:

2007-12-03 11:46:50 1Iz9lC-0000h4-Ay H=weed.lut.ac.uk [158.125.1.226]
F=<A.A.Aaaaaaaa@???> rejected after DATA: Syntax error in
headers: malformed address: <B.B.Bbbbbbbbbb@???>\n may not follow
B.B.Bbbbbbbbbb@???\n : failing address in "To:" header is:
B.B.Bbbbbbbbbb@???\n <B.B.Bbbbbbbbbb@???>

I believe that the config that will be causing this will be along the
lines of:

deny !verify = header_syntax

Ignoring for a second whether or not such a config snippet is a
good/safe thing to do, can you tell me if Exim is *right* in suggesting
that the To header quoted above does not adhere to the RFC's? I have
contacted the vendor and it is their opinion that the newline is allowed
in that location according to RFC2822 and that the problem is in Exim.

Actually... Should I be concentrating on the newline at all? Is the
problem that the address is:

B.B.Bbbbbbbbbb@??? <B.B.Bbbbbbbbbb@???>

Rather than:

"B.B.Bbbbbbbbbb@???" <B.B.Bbbbbbbbbb@???>

Or is the problem something entirely different?

Mike