Re: [exim] exim_surbl

Author: Jethro R Binks
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim_surbl
On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, John Schmerold wrote:

> That, of course is one of the reasons I wrote, I suspect we could do
> better. An obvious area for our situation is to deny based on
> recipient email address (if we don't exist, why are we accepting mail
> for them).
>
> This box is a filter for several clients using mail servers that
> include Exchange, cPanel, Groupwise & Vmailmgr, so configuring
> recipient addresses is easier said than done.
>
> We're using several (probably too many) rbls, that helps, guess
> greylisting is next.

Greylisting can be somewhat complicated and needs some care; in the
meantime, have you considered some of the other easy lightweight basic
checks?

. enabling checks on protocol synchronisation

. test for lack of HELO

. test for HELO is one of your domains or your IP, or otherwise known to
be false (e.g., "friend" - have a look at the HELOs used by messages you
later find are spam)

. test for HELO is the local part of the current rcpt

. test for HELO contains underscores (but be prepared to make exceptions)

. consider requiring something that looks like an FQDN for HELO

. delays at various points in the SMTP transaction

. defer if DNS reverse dns lookup fails on connecting ip (ie, no dns
response from a server -- trying to match up forward- and reverse-dns for
a host is much more problematic)

The last one I recently implemented after wavering over it for years. My
users tell me it has made a considerable difference.

Jethro.