[exim] Daemonless rootless exim for outgoing mail?

Author: Ben Schmidt
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Daemonless rootless exim for outgoing mail?
Hi!

I've never configured or used exim directly, though surely it handles mail of mine
that passes through some site somewhere!

I am investigating using Exim to assist delivering outgoing mail, though. The mail
server that is installed on the machine in question has some configuration I'm not
happy with, but I don't have privileges to change it. I don't want to run a daemon
or listen for connections at all; I can't need root privileges for installation or
use. Basically I'd like something that can be called with the sendmail interface,
that will attempt to deliver the message(s) given to it and then terminate. If it
fails to deliver the message, I'd need some way of discovering this--perhaps a
bounce message delivered to an mbox file in my home directory. Or perhaps a
warning into an mbox file and leave the message queued for manual retry with some
later command invocation (not automatic, as I don't want to get into daemons or
cron jobs or such).

A quick glance through the manual gives me hope that this kind of thing is
possible, but I'm wondering if someone with a bit more knowledge could confirm
that it is, and give me some hints, or point me to a HOWTO or something? I had a
bit of a Google, but couldn't turn up anything useful, except that Exim seems to
be the MTA to offer the most hope for this kind of thing!

I'm also interested in how lightweight this could be made. What components would
need to be installed, etc.? I need to compile Exim on a different machine and then
transfer it, possibly along with some libraries, to make it work. It would be
ideal if it could just be an executable, maybe some libraries, and a config file
or few, as not much of the MTA's functionality is really needed. Perhaps even
better if some functionality can be deactivated while compiling.

I'd be interested in whatever wisdom and hints the list has to offer.

Thanks in advance,

Ben.