Re: [exim] [Exim] Exim4 trying to talk to GMAIL

Author: Jeroen van Aart
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] [Exim] Exim4 trying to talk to GMAIL
Phil Pennock wrote:
> If you have inbound mail, you should have a static IP address; any ISP
> selling static IP addresses should be willing to remove the inbound port
> 25 block once you confirm that you really are running a mail-server.

I have a static IP ($6 a month extra...). It doesn't hurt to ask I
guess. It's a local isp, they ought to be a bit more flexible. I can
however send out email, just not receive.

> If you're in NL, then there should be a few decent ISPs around who'll do
> this. Here in the USA, I'm stuck with Comcast (no DSL available at
> home) which is part of why I still have a colo box in NL.

I used xs4all back in NL, they're good imo. Though I never tried if they
blocked port 25 I would assume they don't, they gave a free static IP.
Sadly I have no root access to a box in NL. Or anywhere where it'd be
decent to configure an MTA for my home setup.

> If the ISP is filtering inbound SYN, then you could use ssh with

How to check this? I checked to see if port 25 is blocked by just
running nmap and check if indeed the port was open. Trying various
services configured to port 25 (including smtp of course). It would just
show up as blocked. I guess using syn stealth scan on nmap would reveal
if inbound syn is being filtered.

> port-forwarding and a session which is kept alive at all times. If you

I have little experience with ssh port forwarding, how would I go about
doing that?

Thanks,
Jeroen