Re: [exim] [Exim] Exim4 trying to talk to GMAIL

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Jeroen van Aart
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] [Exim] Exim4 trying to talk to GMAIL
On 2007-11-13 at 12:44 -0800, Jeroen van Aart wrote:
> Which reminds me. There is probably no easy way to avoid a block on
> incoming port 25 by an ISP. Except to have an MTA outside the block
> which receives your email and sends it to your MTA configured to listen
> on a different port?

If you have inbound mail, you should have a static IP address; any ISP
selling static IP addresses should be willing to remove the inbound port
25 block once you confirm that you really are running a mail-server.

If you're in NL, then there should be a few decent ISPs around who'll do
this. Here in the USA, I'm stuck with Comcast (no DSL available at
home) which is part of why I still have a colo box in NL.

If the ISP is filtering inbound SYN, then you could use ssh with
port-forwarding and a session which is kept alive at all times. If you
have more than minimal guest access to a colocated system (ie, it's
yours to do with as you will) then you could set up IMAP on that system
and turn your home MTA setup into a satellite service, smarthosting via
your own box. Then you can travel and not be dependent upon your home
connection being up; given the quality of service that seems to be
common with those ISPs who filter ports without exceptions, this might
well be much safer.

mvg,
-Phil