Re: [exim] Blocking Users with No Reverse DNS

Author: Jim Pazarena
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Blocking Users with No Reverse DNS
Michael Haardt wrote:
>> How many block connections with no reverse DNS?
>
> I do for all sites I run.
>
>> How much collateral damage is there with doing that?
>
> It got me the usual offences, but apart from that, no damage really.
> That may be due to running a large site; a smaller site might have to use
> exception lists. By now, the number of weekly complaints decreases some.
> I guess people slowly accept the fact that they need a consistent reverse
> record to transfer mail to us.
>
> You will learn a lot about how to screw up DNS. Wrong glue records,
> lame delegations, inconsistent A records for nameservers, you name it.
> Usually the remote admin complaining is not capable of debugging it.
>
>> How do you set it up in Exim?
>
>   defer   message = DNS reverse entry lookup failed for $sender_host_address
>           condition = ${if eq{$host_lookup_deferred}{1} {1}{0}}
>   deny    message = inconsistent or no DNS reverse entry for $sender_host_address
>           condition = ${if eq{$host_lookup_failed}{1} {1}{0}}

I am puzzled about some existing entries in my exim log BEFORE implementing the above code.

I am seeing (for example):
2007-09-11 08:42:47 no IP address found for host reverse.154.51.184.66.static.ldmi.com
(during SMTP connection from [66.184.51.154])

I cannot find 'why / what' is generating this check and subsequent error message.
I _do_ have tcp_wrappers running, but even wrappers, doesn't seem to generate this message.

Can someone advise what I have configured to have generated this?

Thanks!