Re: [exim] spammers MXes

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: ROGERS Richard, Renaud Allard, Marc Perkel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] spammers MXes

--On 22 October 2007 09:29:09 +0100 ROGERS Richard
<Richard.Rogers@???> wrote:

> Sorry if I've missed something here, but how will you KNOW that the MX
> is used ONLY by spammers?

The same way he knows that the originating IP address is only used by
spammers, by asking a reputation server. Mistakes can happen, but that's
true of any reputation based system.

> I have bought domains that come with a default
> MX that can be used to forward mail to a nominated address, and there
> must be many cases where this is completely adequate - so if a spammer
> buys a domain from the same provider, will these innocent domains be
> tarred with the same brush?

Yep. Therefore the provider has an incentive revoke the domain registration
early. That allows sender verification to fail - without callouts.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex