Re: [exim] spammers MXes

Author: ROGERS Richard
To: Renaud Allard, Marc Perkel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] spammers MXes
Renaud Allard wrote:

> I am trying to determine if a blacklist of IP of MXes (not containing
> the IP sending the spam, but the IP of the MX) exists, and if it
> would be useful to have such a blacklist.
>
> It seems that some spammers are using newly bought domains with real
> MX records. Those MXes seem to be only used by these spammers

Sorry if I've missed something here, but how will you KNOW that the MX
is used ONLY by spammers? I have bought domains that come with a default
MX that can be used to forward mail to a nominated address, and there
must be many cases where this is completely adequate - so if a spammer
buys a domain from the same provider, will these innocent domains be
tarred with the same brush?

> So the idea is: if someone sends me a mail from: user@???. I
> can verify example.com MX which is mail.example.com which resolves to
> 1.2.3.4. And if 1.2.3.4 is in the blacklist, I could just deny the
> mail because it is a known spammer MX IP.

Regards

Richard

--
Richard Rogers
IT Development and Innovation Manager

The information in this email is confidential and is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised.

If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, except for the purpose of delivery to the addressee, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Kindly notify the sender and delete the message and any attachment from your computer.